17 Jun Bipartisan Policy Center Action Announces Two New Board Members: Broderick Johnson, Mike Smith in Uncategorized
Bipartisan Policy Center Action (BPC Action) has announced that Broderick Johnson, former senior Obama and Clinton administration official and Senior of Counsel at Covington & Burling, and Mike Smith, member of the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee’s Majority Trust Circle and Principal at Cornerstone Government Affairs, have joined the organization’s board of directors.
Broderick Johnson is a public policy and political strategist providing strategic leadership advice and counsel to clients on legislative, regulatory, legal, and political issues. Johnson was also appointed to senior posts under two U.S. presidents. He served as Assistant to the President and Cabinet Secretary under President Barack Obama. In that role, he was the president’s primary liaison to members of the Cabinet. President Obama also appointed Johnson the chairman of the White House’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force, an interagency initiative designed to identify and address the disparities that hamper the success of boys and young men of color, and to improve the lives of all youth. In the Clinton White House, Johnson was Deputy Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs. Johnson also has served as a senior advisor for several presidential campaigns, including the Obama-Biden and Kerry-Edwards campaigns.
As a principal and director at Cornerstone Government Affairs, Mike Smith advises a broad array of non-profit, corporate, and tribal entities on a wide range of federal issues. Prior to joining Cornerstone, Smith spent three years as a Partner in the Governmental Affairs section of a leading international law firm. He serves as a member of the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee’s Majority Trust Legacy Circle. In 2004, he was appointed to the Credentials Committee of the DNC. Prior, Smith served as the Midwest Political Director for the Gore campaign in 2000. In 1996, Smith served as a liaison between the White House, campaign staff and local, state, and federal officials as a member of the National Advance Staff for the Clinton-Gore re-election campaign.
“Broderick and Mike are two welcome additions to the BPC Action Board,” said Michele Stockwell, executive director of BPC Action. “Their experiences navigating a wide variety of complex policy and political issues will be invaluable as BPC Action continues to push for viable solutions in a particularly challenging landscape.”
BPC Action’s board represents a wide range of public and private sector expertise, from former members of Congress, government officials and business executives to community and philanthropic leaders, including:
- Board Chair Kimberly Olson Dorgan, KODorgan Consulting
- Ralph Cavanagh, Senior Attorney and Co-Director for the Energy Program at Natural Resources Defense Council
- Rachel Hirschberg, President and Co-founder of Berger Hirschberg Strategies
- Broderick Johnson, Senior of Counsel, Covington & Burling
- Katherine Lugar, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Beverage Association
- Kevin Madden, Executive Vice President of Advocacy, Arnold Ventures
- William Novelli, Professor, Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business
- Phil Sharp, Fellow at Columbia University’s Center on Global Energy Policy and Former U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Neal Simon, Former CEO of Bronfman Rothschild and Former Candidate for U.S. Senate
- Mike Smith, Principal and Director, Cornerstone Government Affairs
- Thomas Tauke, Former Executive Vice President of Public Affairs, Policy and Communications for Verizon Communications, Inc. and Former U.S. Representative from Iowa
- Robert Traynham, Head of Communications and External Affairs at Facebook
- Candi Wolff, Executive Vice President of Global Government Affairs, Citigroup Inc.