24 Jul BPC Action-Supported Housing Bills in the 118th Congress in Housing
The following bipartisan bills align with Bipartisan Policy Center housing recommendations and are endorsed by BPC Action. This list is continuously updated.
- Led in the House by Reps. Emanuel Cleaver, II (D-MO) and Lori Chavez-DeRemer (R-OR)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Cristopher Coons (D-DE), Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Raphael Warnock (D-GA), Tina Smith (D-MN), and Jerry Moran (R-KS)
- Authorizes programs and grants to incentivize landlord participation in HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher program, particularly in low-poverty areas.
H.R. 491, the Return Home to Housing Act
- Led by Reps. Nikema Williams (D-GA), Claudia Tenney (R-NY), Sara Jacobs (D-CA), and Andrew Garbarino (R-NY)
- Increases the maximum rate of per diem payments that the VA provides to entities for services and transitional housing to homeless veterans.
- Led in the House by Reps. Kelly Armstrong (R-ND) and Madeleine Dean (D-PA)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Kevin Cramer (R-ND) and Mark Warner (D-VA)
- Permits the nationwide use of remote online notarizations to simplify and improve mortgage and other financial transactions.
H.R. 1314, the Lodging Options Developed for Government Employees (LODGE) Act
- Led by Reps. Blake Moore (R-UT), Jimmy Panetta (D-CA), Dan Newhouse (R-WA), and Katie Porter (D-CA)
- Expands the authority of the Department of the Interior to enter into agreements with housing entities to provide rental housing for its employees.
- Led in the House by Reps. Brian Higgins (D-NY) and Mike Kelly (R-PA)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Ben Cardin (D-MD), Todd Young (R-IN), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Jerry Moran (R-KS), and Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
- Establishes a tax credit to support the rehabilitation and new construction of single-family homes in distressed communities.
- Led in the House by Reps. Joe Neguse (D-CO) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) and Todd Young (R-IN)
- Authorizes a new type of housing choice voucher designed to help families with young children, provided those families are homeless or unstably housed, at risk of displacement, or living in an area of concentrated poverty.
S. 1389, the Rural Housing Service Reform Act
- Led by Sens. Tina Smith (D-MN) and Mike Rounds (R-ND)
- Improves the housing programs administered by the USDA’s Rural Housing Service by decoupling rental assistance from maturing mortgages, permanently establishing the Multifamily Housing Preservation and Revitalization Demonstration, making permanent the Native CDFI Relending pilot program, and improving staff training and capacity within RHS.
- Led in the House by Reps. Darin LaHood (R-IL), Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Brad Wenstrup (R-OH), Don Beyer (D-VA), Claudia Tenney (R-NY), and Jimmy Panetta (D-CA)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Todd Young (R-IN), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
- Expands and strengthens the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, by increasing the amount of credits allocated to each state and increasing the number of affordable housing projects that can be built using private activity bonds.
- Led in the House by Reps. Derek Kilmer (D-WA) and Mike Flood (R-NE)
- Led in the Senate by Sens. Todd Young (R-IN) and Brian Schatz (D-HI)
- Requires Community Development Block Grant program recipients to submit information regarding their implementation of certain land-use policies, such as policies for expanding high-density single-family and multifamily zoning.
S. 1805, the Affordable Housing Bond Enhancement Act
- Led by Sens. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
- Modifies the Mortgage Revenue Bond (MRB) and Mortgage Credit Certificates (MCC) programs of state housing finance agencies to expand the supply of affordable homes and homeownership for low- and moderate-income homebuyers.